- Prior Appointment
- Consular Relations between Russia and Japan
- Consular Section News
- Contact Details
- Consular Services
- Russian Visas
- Visa Categories
- About Russian Visas
- Additional Visa Application Requirements for the Citizens of Third Countries
- Emergency Visa Application
- Migration Card
- Other Consular Services
- Press and Mass Media
- Matters of Trade and Business
- Russian Visas
- A private visa is issued for a single (up to three months), double (up to three months) or multiple (up to one year) entry into the Russian Federation.
A private visa is issued to citizens of Japan, other states and stateless persons to enter the Russian Federation on a guest visit on the basis of an invitation from the invitation of the General Administration for Migration Issues of the Russian MIA , issued at the request of a citizen of the Russian Federation or a foreign citizen who has received a residence permit in the Russian Federation, or a legal entity.
A similar visa can also be issued to a citizen of Japan or another state upon a written application from a Russian citizen who is his close relative.
From September 1, 2021, in accordance with paragraph 2 of Article 3 of the Federal Law of July 1, 2021 No. 270-FZ "On Amendments to the Federal Law" On the Procedure for Exiting the Russian Federation and Entry into the Russian Federation "and Article 5 of the Federal Law" On the legal status of foreign citizens in the Russian Federation "amendments entered into force, allowing to obtain an annual multiple-entry private visa (without limitation on the duration of stay in the territory of the Russian Federation during the entire period of validity of the visa) for the purpose of a" guest visit" at the written request of a citizen of the Russian Federation on the entry of a foreign citizen who is his close relative or a member of his family (spouse, parents (adoptive parents), children (adopted), spouses of children, full and half brothers and sisters, grandfathers, grandmothers, grandchildren).
In order to apply for Russian visa at the Consular Section of the Russian Embassy, since June 3, 2019 we are kindly asking you to make a prior appointment on the web site. Documents for visa won’t be accepted without prior appointment. Thank you for your kind cooperation.
Necessary documents for a private visa are as follows:
- The original of a foreign passport of a foreign citizen or a stateless person with at least two empty visa pages and valid for a minimum of 6 months starting on the day of visa expiry;
- Electronic Visa Application Form, filled out in Russian or English, and printed directly from the following website of the Consular Department of the Russian Foreign Ministry: https://visa.kdmid.ru. (In order to apply for a visa at Consular Section of Russian Embassy, at the final step of filling out your application form please select the location of submission of your application [EMBASSY OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION IN JAPAN]. If you choose another location for a visa application, your documents won’t be accepted by the Embassy);
- One passport size (3.5 x 4.5cm) clear photo in colour taken full-face directly facing the camera and against a plain white or light-coloured background. Only non-tinted prescription glasses and head covering worn daily for a religious purpose or as a part of national costume (in this case the same head covering must be worn in the passport photo) are allowed;
One of the following packs of documents:
1) A written request* of a close relative Russian citizen in the name of the head of Russian diplomatic mission or consular institution. Also the following documents must be submitted:
- a copy and the original (the original will be returned) of a valid Russian foreign passport of the inviting person;
- a copy and the original (the original will be returned) of a document proving close relationship between the applicant and his relative in Russia (marriage certificate, birth certificate, a document confirming the disability of an adult child etc.)
* Visa application must be submitted by a Russian citizen in person. If a Russian citizen does not have opportunity to submit documents in person, the applicant will need the original of the application certified by a Russian notary.
2) A notarized invitation for a Japanese citizen from his close relative, a Japanese citizen who has a permit to stay in Russia for more than 90 days. Also the following documents must be submitted:
- A notarized copy of the first passport page and valid Russian visa of the inviting Japanese citizen.
- a copy and the original (the original will be returned) of a document proving close relationship between the applicant and the invited person (marriage certificate, birth certificate etc.).
3) The original of the invitation or a printed copy of an electronic invitation to enter Russia issued by the General Administration for Migration Issues of the Russian MIA (before - FMS Russia);
Attention! The Consular section of the Embassy of the Russian Federation in Japan may request additional visa documents, invite you for an interview or extend the time of visa issue procedure.
If you are not a Japanese citizen please also check the additional information on visa application for third country citizens under the following link.
Visa fees should be paid on the day of the application(Japanese yen only).The visa processing fee is not refundable.
There is a change in a form of payment of consular fees since July 1, 2019. Only bank transfers or credit card payment (“Visa” or “Mastercard”) are accepted. Payment by cash is not accepted. Thank you for your kind cooperation.
|The fee for processing visa application for citizens of Japan *|
|Visa type||Not longer than 3 |
|at least 11 |
|10,000 yen||4,000 yen||FREE|
* Only Japanese nationals are eligible for free visas. Citizens of other countries may be charged an extra consular fee on the basis of reciprocity.
** If a weekend or a Russian national holiday falls during the processing period, then the processing period is further extended to include the duration of the weekend/holiday.
*** Multiple visa on a direct invitation from Russian company/individual may be issued to those foreign nationals who had previously visited Russia within the one year period before the application. The multiple entry visa issuing process takes 10 to 20 working days.