- Prior Appointment
- Consular Relations between Russia and Japan
- Consular Section News
- Contact Details
- Consular Services
- Russian Visas
- Visa Categories
- About Russian Visas
- Additional Visa Application Requirements for the Citizens of Third Countries
- Emergency Visa Application
- Migration Card
- Other Consular Services
- Press and Mass Media
- Matters of Trade and Business
- Russian Visas
Study visas are issued to the citizens of Japan, other states or non-stateless persons for the entry to the Russian Federation with a purpose of studying in an educational institution on submitting an invitation issued by the General Administration for Migration Issues of the Russian MIA (before - FMS Russia).
A study visa can be single or double with the validity period up to 90 days.Visa extension is carried out by an administrative unit of the General Administration for Migration Issues of the Russian MIA (before - FMS Russia) at the place of residence and registration of the foreign citizen by issuing a multiple visa valid for the duration period of the study contract that is concluded in accordance with the Russian legislation in the field of education, but no longer tan 1 year for each consecutive visa.
In order to apply for Russian visa at the Consular Section of the Russian Embassy, since June 3, 2019 we are kindly asking you to make a prior appointment on the web site. Documents for visa won’t be accepted without prior appointment. Thank you for your kind cooperation.
Necessary documents for a study visa are as follows:
- The original of the invitation of the General Administration for Migration Issues of the Russian MIA (before - FMS Russia) or the decision of Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs on issuing a visa for entry to the Russian Federation;
- The original of a foreign passport of a foreign citizen or a stateless person with at least two empty visa pages and valid for a minimum of 1,5 years starting on the visa effective date;
- Electronic Visa Application Form, filled out in Russian or English, and printed directly from the following website of the Consular Department of the Russian Foreign Ministry: https://visa.kdmid.ru. (In order to apply for a visa at Consular Section of Russian Embassy, at the final step of filling out your application form please select the location of submission of your application [EMBASSY OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION IN JAPAN]. If you choose another location for a visa application, your documents won’t be accepted by the Embassy);
- One passport size (3.5 x 4.5cm) clear photo in colour taken full-face directly facing the camera and against a plain white or light-coloured background. Only non-tinted prescription glasses and head covering worn daily for a religious purpose or as a part of national costume (in this case the same head covering must be worn in the passport photo) are allowed;
Attention! The Consular section of the Embassy of the Russian Federation in Japan may request additional visa documents, invite you for an interview or extend the time of visa issue procedure.
If you are not a Japanese citizen please also check the additional information on visa application for third country citizens under the following link.
Visa fees should be paid on the day of the application(Japanese yen only).The visa processing fee is not refundable.
There is a change in a form of payment of consular fees since July 1, 2019. Only bank transfers or credit card payment (“Visa” or “Mastercard”) are accepted. Payment by cash is not accepted. Thank you for your kind cooperation.
|The fee for processing visa application for citizens of Japan *|
|Visa type||Not longer than 3 |
|at least 11 |
|10,000 yen||4,000 yen||FREE|
* Only Japanese nationals are eligible for free visas. Citizens of other countries may be charged an extra consular fee on the basis of reciprocity.
** If a weekend or a Russian national holiday falls during the processing period, then the processing period is further extended to include the duration of the weekend/holiday.
*** Multiple visa on a direct invitation from Russian company/individual may be issued to those foreign nationals who had previously visited Russia within the one year period before the application. The multiple entry visa issuing process takes 10 to 20 working days.